About me

Welcome to my blog!
At the beginning I would like to say to you :
I'm sorry!
I am sorry that you had to google my blog and come here and read it. Your life will never be the same! :D

I'm 25 years old, mum of two, adorable, but very busy children! I have three cats, a dog a fish and two guinea pigs. I love to crochet, read books and watch silly horror movies. I consider myself as a very positive and funny person, sometimes very argumentative and to honest for some.
I love to spend time with my family. Although I have my own hobby's as well. Long story, short : My life doesn't ends on my kids.
That's why I've decided to study towards my Psychology degree!
Now, signing yourself up with some university is easy. The hard part starts when, English is your second language, you have conditions called : Ankylosing Spondylitis and Fibromyalgia ( is as hard to live with them as it is to pronounce them ;) ) Depression with Anxiety and Restless Legs Syndrome, and they are very painful. You have so many things to do in a day, that you wish that day would last 72h not only 24!
One of my favourites saying is : You think this is crazy? I will show you crazy! - which pretty much describes my whole life ;) Enjoy!

Tuesday 28 January 2014

Introducing the social sciences. Learning Companion 1 - Week 1.

In this week you will study: 

  • this section of the Learning Companion (4 hours) 
  • 'The street' and 'Making social lives on City Road' ( Making Social Lives DVD) ( 3 hours) 
  • 'Reading and note  taking' (Developing skills Audio CD) ( 30 minutes)
  • Online Activities 1 and 2 ( 2 hours) 



Ok, let's start from the beginning.

The first section of the LC1 is pretty ease going, I've done few notes and I've highlighted few bits.
I've exchanged few e-mails with my tutor already, so I know what I'm looking for and how she is expecting my work to look like. Which is very helpful, some tutors for example do not allow the 10% word count rule. When you are using minus or plus 10% of the word count. ( Please ask your tutor before you do that).

'The Street' it's very short and simple video. To be fair, there is not many information which will be use in the first TMA.

'Making Social Lives', here we are meeting quiet a character! Lloyd Robson. Many people describes him as annoying. To be fair... I was giggling the first two times I was watching that video. His wardrobe choices are just priceless and he really feels like a Mr.Bigg Stuff ! It was amazing! So if you are laughing, like me. Watch the video few times and try to do some notes. This video is very helpful and gives you many examples for your first TMA.

'Reading and note taking' Audio CD - not to bad, I am usually listening to my Audio CD before bed. At this stage, it doesn't feel like is the most important thing for me.

Online activities 1 and 2 - simple activities, you shouldn't have any problems with it. If your answers are different that the one provided, don't worry! That's why does activities are provided, for practise.


Quick tips: 

1. I am never reading my study materials without, highlighting pen and a piece of paper with pen. As I scan through the text I can always note key words, which are usually helpful. Highlighting text is a big deal for me. I have a simple reason : When I have to find something I don't have to read through the page to find it, I have it already highlight. 

2. Do not stress over the hours in LC1! Promise me that! The OU is the biggest university in UK. There is lots of people studying and where is lots of people, there are different levels. Some people study quick, some slow, some average, some are lazy, some are OCD, the list goes on and on.... Those hours are only a timeline, and the bar is set at the lowest level. It wouldn't be fair if they provide hours thinking about those people who are reading in an hour, doing online activities in 30 minutes. 

3. If you have accese to transcripts - use them whilst watching DVD and listening to Audio CD. ( highlight whatever is important for you).

No comments:

Post a Comment